Design an Outdoor Oasis to Enjoy with Family and Friends
Tips to expand your living area and make your outdoor spaces more inviting
Have you been wondering how to make your yard more welcoming? Relaxing? Functional for your family?
With people having the opportunity to spend more time at home, what better way to expand your living area than to create an outdoor oasis to enjoy with close circles of family and friends?
Whether you have a sprawling backyard, a rooftop deck or a cozy patio, you can design the space of your dreams with these tips to make your outdoor spaces more inviting.
The key to designing a functional and welcoming seating area is first knowing how you want to use your space and where it is located. Focusing on what is most important to you is key in creating an area that you will not only use, but enjoy.
To achieve your vision, ask yourself these questions:
- Am I looking for a large sectional or individual chairs around a centerpiece? Sectionals are more intimate and accommodate larger areas, whereas individual chairs are more versatile because they can be easily rearranged and added to depending on your needs.
- What ambience do I want to create? Centerpiece options create different moods—fountains are more tranquil and peaceful; fire pits are warm, cozy and inviting; coffee tables offer spaces to casually entertain with food, drinks and games.
- Is there something I am trying to hide or make more attractive? Custom art panels are perfect to liven up areas such as large bare walls or fences, or even electrical boxes.
- Do I want seating with or without cushions? Cushions create a cozy spot to sit and relax, put your feet up and enjoy your company (or your alone time) as comfortably as you would if you were inside. On the other hand, ease of maintenance of cushionless furniture allows homeowners to simply rinse, wipe and air dry their pieces without the worry of food drips or fabric snags.
More people are turning to gardening as a reprieve from their four interior walls. Here are a few ideas to add beauty and function to your garden spaces.
- Add brightly colored pots or a piece of outdoor art. Bright colors are a low maintenance way to compliment the surrounding décor or show off your favorite color while tying the space together. Grid art panels can also be used as trellises to grow plants on or hang herb pots from.
- Install planters. Whether planting for fun, to add a pop of color, or to serve as a spacial divider, planters are a great option. Some of the most popular garden spaces are large box planters for raised bed urban gardening.
- Incorporate pottery with mixed textures and glazes to add dimension to monochromatic looks without being overly matchy. Pottery also adds a bit of whimsy to an area without committing to a particular look—as they can easily be changed out, added to or moved around to update your space.
Dining al fresco is one of the most enjoyable ways to utilize your outdoor space. While the design of an outdoor dining area is unique to the space available and the needs of the homeowner, here are a few important considerations.
- The right style and layout of your dining set will have you and your guests lingering long after the food is gone. Dining options come in all shapes and sizes, so be sure to look for something that can accommodate extra guests but still fits comfortably in your space.
- Make sure that your dining set is durable enough to withstand Colorado’s elements. Tables and chairs are offered in a variety of materials ranging from powder coated aluminum frames, Sunbrella fabrics, sustainable woods and upcycled plastics.
- The best way to elevate your outdoor dining experience is to prepare your meal from your patio. Consider installing a custom outdoor kitchen with upscale amenities such as a grill, pizza oven or bartending center. Not only does an outdoor kitchen create a perfect entertainment space, it also adds exceptional value to your home.
With these tips in mind, you are ready to create an inviting outdoor oasis to enjoy with your family and friends for years to come.
Micheline Stone is the owner of Creative Living, the premier source for modern outdoor patio decor in Denver, with a nimble team of designers who believe in well curated and eclectic exteriors. View their profile or contact them at 720.222.9509.
Content for this article was provided by Creative Living.