Vanilla Shortbread Cookie Recipe
From The Sweetest Bean
1 cup salted butter softened
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp sugar in the raw or coarse sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until well combined and fluffy.
3. Add 1/2 cup of flour at a time and beat on medium speed until combined.
4. Turn dough out onto plastic wrap. Knead gently until smooth. Form into a disc and chill for 30 minutes.
5. On a non-stick surface, roll the dough into an 8 x 8 inch square, 1/3-1/2 inch thick. (Note: Lay a piece of wax paper over the dough to prevent sticking to the rolling pin).
6. Cut into 2 inch squares. Place onto a baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart. Sprinkle the tops with the coarse sugar.
7. Bake for 20-24 minutes until the bottoms are very lightly golden. Cool on the pan for a few minutes then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Read more about The Sweetest Bean.