Max Martinez’s Favorite Things
The owner of MAX women's clothing boutiques shares his go-to's
The 35-year owner of the eponymous MAX women’s clothing boutiques in Boulder, Aspen and Denver shares his favorite things.
1. WEBSITE There With Care—a charity that helps families with critically ill children—is incredibly dear to me, so it’s become habit to check the wish list on the organization’s website to see what is needed and to help however I can. therewithcare.org
2. HAIR CARE I like to keep things easy, but going to Al’s Barber Shop in Denver for a cut is a must. als-barbershop.net
3. SKIN CARE Like my hair care, my skin-care regimen is really simple, but I do indulge in Aesop soaps and creams. Everything smells divine. I’m a huge fan of the Rose By Any Other Name Body Cleanser ($17) and the Resurrection Aromatique Hand Balm ($30). Aesop, Denver; aesop.com
4. OUTDOOR ACTIVITY I’ve had a store in Aspen for 20 years, so I spend a fair amount of time there. I know it’s a typical draw for tourists, but hiking around the Maroon Bells is one of my favorite activities. I’m an early riser, so I start my hikes well before the crowds come out. The experience is always peaceful and grounding.
5. FURNITURE LINE I adore the work of Christian Liaigre. One of my all-time favorite pieces I own is his Gauguin II Coffee Table from John Brooks. John Brooks, Denver Design Center; johnbrooksinc.com
6. BEDDING Sheets by Frette are truly something special. I prefer to have sheets that last 10 years rather than having to replace them frequently, and the quality of Frette is unmatched. I’m a fan of the Hotel Classic Sheet Set ($400–$550), because the finish of the cotton is completely delicious. Frette, Aspen; frette.com
7. CULTURAL ATTRACTION The Museum of Contemporary Art Denver (MCA Denver) is one of my favorite spots to visit. I’m especially keen on their teen programs, which offer incredible opportunities to aspiring students in the area. mcadenver.org
8. STORE I’m quite obsessed with flowers, so when I’m not traveling, I can often be found at Bloom by Anuschka, picking up a fresh arrangement. Roses are my favorite, because they come in so many varieties and colors. Also, roses were my mother’s favorite, so naturally I adore them. bloomdenver.com
9. RESTAURANT Tavernetta in Denver. The entire experience is perfect, from the atmosphere and service to every offering on the menu. I’m vegetarian, so any of their handmade pastas that mingle with seasonal vegetables are always my top choice. tavernettadenver.com