Hollie Velasquez Horvath’s Favorite Things
The busy Coloradan shares her must-haves
RVP State Affairs and Community Relations at Xcel Energy, wife, and mom of twin pre-teens, shares her favorite things.
1. RESTAURANT Bastien’s Restaurant, Home of the Sugar Steak. My family and friends enjoy going to Bastien’s and having a steak and baked potato. The restaurant is family owned and feels so warm and inviting when you come in. It truly represents the phrase, “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” because the special surprise inside is where the magic happens. Bastien’s, 3503 E. Colfax Ave., bastiensrestaurant.com
2. FAVORITE ACCESSORY Once I find a new accessory, I tend to stick with it for a really long time, so it needs to always be something that goes with everything. Right now, I’m obsessed with my tiny diamond huggie earrings. They add just the right amount of sparkle to my ears whether I’m dressed up for work or running errands with my kiddos. The Last Line is a jewelry store out of L.A., and they have so many huggie choices—all different stones and sizes. Thisisthelast.com
3. HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCE My husband and I have a love for coffee, and we also appreciate the convenience of getting a cup right as we wake for the day. Our Miele Coffee Maker is a built-in coffee machine with a bean-to-cup brew system. It also looks sleek, and the newer models even come with Bluetooth, where you can start to brew your coffee from bed. Miele CVA 6805 Coffee Maker, $4,499, Mieleusa.com
4. FURNITURE LINE/STORE I absolutely love scouring for that one unique piece of furniture that becomes the focal point of a room. It can be anything from a barstool to a light fixture. I recently found a modern grey velvet bench with stainless steel legs for our living room. Homary.com often carries really unique pieces.
5. COLORADO RETAIL STORE I have been shopping at Garbarini for close to 20 years, and it’s become a place to enjoy my love for fashion with my friends. The team at Garbarini have watched me get married and now are seeing my twins grow up. Lin Patten at Garbarini has helped me throughout every phase in my life. Garbarini, 239 Detroit St., Denver, garbarinishop.com
6. HOUSEWARMING GIFT I don’t have a usual housewarming gift, but I do have a go-to place where I go to find something special for a friend: Homebody in Denver is such a cool place, and they always have such interesting and unique home accessories for gifts. Homebody, 2920 E. 6th Ave., Denver, homebodydenver.com
7. PERFUME I used to wear different perfumes until I found Le Labo Santal 33 Eau de Parfum. It’s the only one I own, and after four years, I still can’t switch to another scent. I’m always sharing the brand and where to buy it because people love it. Nordstrom, Denver and Park Meadows, $86-$285, nordstrom.com
8. COLORADO ACTIVITY We are so lucky to live in a state that treasures the outdoors. I recently finished board service with GOCO (Great Outdoors Colorado), a non-profit organization that invests a portion of Colorado Lottery proceeds to help preserve and enhance Colorado’s state parks, trails, wildlife, rivers, and open spaces. While I served on the board, I was able to visit some pretty remarkable places in Colorado, and now I take my husband and kids to see them. GOCO.org