Gallery Owner Doug Kacena Shares His Favorite Things
Wildly fashionable gallery owner of K Contemporary in LoDo, curator, renowned artist and podcast host, shares his favorite things
1) COLORADO MUSEUM Not only does the Denver Art Museum develop world-class touring exhibits, but the curators also present challenging contemporary exhibitions like Simpiwe Ndzube. The newly remodeled Martin Building houses one of the most comprehensive indigenous art collections in the country. DAM, 100 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy., Denver.
2) FLORIST I’ve been working with The Perfect Petal for years. They have created some gorgeous pieces responding to the artist’s work for openings at the gallery. I always have their arrangements strewn throughout my loft. 3600 W. 32nd Ave. B, Denver.
3) FURNITURE LINE I love CB2‘s modern aesthetic with a classical nod here and there. I found most of my nonvintage and mid-mod pieces there. My favorite is the Matador Shearling Chair ($1,299)— it reminds me a of a little lamb. CB2, 210 Saint Paul St., Denver.
4) LUGGAGE One of my favorite pieces is my Gucci weekender duffel bag in a fabulous turquoise. It’s beautiful and just the perfect size for an overnight trip to the mountains. Gucci Savoy Large Bowling Bag, $2,700, Gucci, 203 S. Galena St., Aspen.
5) SOCKS Combed cotton socks from Happy Socks are wonderfully playful. They’re super comfy, and they wear well. The limited editions are patterned with images of famous artists and musicians, such as David Bowie and Andy Warhol. Happy Socks Beatles Lines Sock, $18.
6) COLORADO GALLERY There are two galleries right now—Leon Gallery and Friend of a Friend—that are producing fantastic exhibitions with challenging works outside the traditional gallery model. Eric Nord of Leon, and co-directors Derrick Velasquez and Lauren Hartog of Friend of a Friend, are doing important endeavors in a nonprofit-y realm. Leon Gallery 1112 E 17th Ave., Denver. Friend of a Friend, 1115 Acoma St., Denver.
7) SKINCARE I use several products by Good Genes and C.E.O. Vitamin C Rich Hydration Cream. Not only are her products wonderful, but Sunday is also a lovely human being and a friend. I haven’t had much of a skincare routine in my life, so this line is dumbed down for people like me. Good Genes Lactic Acid Treatment, $85.
8) COLORADO ARTIST That is a little like asking me to name my favorite child. That said, Suchitra Mattai is a standout. Her work is fearless. She seamlessly works across mediums such as painting, sculpture, fiber, installation and video. It’s challenging, beautiful, layered and most importantly, it is deeply authentic. K Contemporary Gallery, 1412 Wazee St, Denver.
9) DISHES/COOKWARE My Staub stoneware is simple and elegant, and I have place settings in three colors: blue, white and gray. Their larger pots are great for making chicken noodle soup on a chilly day. Staub Round Cocotte, 7 quarts, $299, Sur la Table, 1850 29th St., Boulder.