Breckenridge Gallery Owner Alex Kendall’s Favorite Things
The spirited and adventurous gallery owner shares her 10 favorite things
1) COLORADO ARTIST Because I own a gallery, it’s difficult to pick just one. We have many incredible artists that are local to Colorado, but to name a few: Chris Veeneman, an abstract painter local to Breckenridge now living in Paris; Kate Kiesler, a gorgeous Colorado landscape painter; and Morrison-based Terry Gardner, who brings a modern approach to the West.
2) SHOES The Blundstone Original Chelsea Boot is comfortable, durable and will never go out of style. Plus, it’s waterproof. Women’s Original Chelsea Boot #510, Black, $199.95, Ptarmigan Sports, Edwards.
3) SKIS I ski on Rocky Mountain Underground’s (RMU) Valhalla 107, a versatile mountain ski for all types of terrain. The width is great in both powder and springtime crud. This is a classic Colorado company that takes care of the locals across our mountain towns. RMU Valhalla 107, $799.
4) RESTAURANT Owner/chef Matt Vawter of Rootstalk is a Summit County local who returned to Breck after working as executive chef at Mercantile in Denver. He opened his restaurant during the pandemic and stayed open because it’s an elevated dining experience. My favorite menu item is the butternut squash soup. Rootstalk, 207 N. Main Street, Breckenridge.
5) RETAIL STORE My go-to store in Breckenridge is Mountain Goat. They carry a lot of companies based in the West, such as Topo Designs, Cotopaxi and Howler. Owners Jen and Pete cater to local Breck folks with awesome mountain clothing and accessories. Mountain Goat Clothing Co., 117 S. Main Street, Breckenridge
6) CLOTHING DESIGNER Nili Lotan is stylish, comfortable and fits my lifestyle from casual to any dressy occasion. Because Breckenridge is a mountain town, Nili is truly the perfect, chill brand for me. Nili Lotan Shon pant, $375, Lawrence Covell, Denver.
7) BASEBALL CAP Native Coloradan and Breckenridge local artist Abby Paffrath has created a collection of quality baseball caps featuring her artwork. It’s such a wonderful reflection of our state that you can wear on your head! A perfect go-to on those sunny, blue-sky days. Surf Break Hat, $29.95.
8) WORKOUT CLOTHING I could wear Vuori Boyfriend Joggers every single day. They are so soft and comfortable and perfect for running, yoga and the gym. Boyfriend jogger in Black Camo, $84, Vuori, Cherry Creek Mall, Denver.
9) MOUNTAIN BIKE Spot is a family-owned mountain-bike company in Golden that started as a single-speed mountain bike brand but is now building geared bikes with full-carbon frames that balance well and are great to ride. Rocker single speed mountain bike, $3,999-$6,999.
10) COWBOY HAT My favorite custom hat-maker is Colorado Mountain Hat Company in Fairplay. Owner Bob (Smitty) is funky and fun and rough around the edges. He lets you pick your own style and fur and fits it to your head. I wear the Cattleman in Sage.