Amy And Joe Covell’s Favorite Things
Parents of two teens and owners/buyers of Cherry Creek retail icon Lawrence Covell share nine stylemaker suggestions
1) COLORADO ARTIST Joe >> We’re not really collectors, but a friend of mine, Geoff Shamos, director of the Vicki Myhren gallery at University of Denver, recently introduced me to Ian Fisher’s paintings. I love his work and hope to have one of his pieces in our home one day. My parents (Lawrence and Cathy Covell) have a still-life by Quang Ho, which is also beautiful.
2) FURNITURE DESIGN Joe >> We’ve never used an interior designer for our store or home, but when we eventually do, we’ll go with John Brooks in the Denver Design District. Owners Art and Marv and store manager Ben are longtime friends, and they are beyond talented. John Brooks 601 S. Broadway, Ste. L, Denver.
3) RETAIL STORE Amy and Joe >> We love shopping at locally owned businesses, such as Homebody, Show of Hands and Bloom. Homebody owner Dory Pratt has a great eye and curated home goods that you don’t see everywhere else. Homebody 2920 E. 6th Ave. Denver.
4) HOUSEWARMING GIFT Amy>> Aesop Geranium Leaf body cleanser, hand wash and hand balm set. It’s an easy gift that everyone likes and appreciates. Aesop scents are unusual and long-lasting. Available at Aesop, Cherry Creek Mall, Denver.
5) SKINCARE Amy >> I use iS Clinical, which I get next door from VITAHL. Two of the products I use religiously are the iS Clinical Extreme Product SPF 30 and iS Clinical Moisturizing Complex. They are both lightweight and feel great on my face. VITAHL Medical Aesthetics, 251 Steele St., #100, Denver.
6) WATCH Joe >> I have a Parmigiani that my dad got me for my 30th birthday from Oster Jewelers. Owner Jeremy Oster is also a huge Stones fan, so we get along well! Oster Jewelers, 251 Steel St., #101, Denver.
7) SHOES Joe >> For casual I wear Common Projects— mainly their track shoe. It’s a retro running shoe, and I have it in a few colors. I also like Harry’s of London slip-ons in the summer, mainly without socks. Amy >> I love my Brunello boots for winter and leather platform flip-flops from The Row for summer.
8) RESTAURANTS Amy and Joe >> We love everything about Satchel’s on 6th. Andrew, the owner, and JP (Jean Paul), his longtime manager, make an incredible burger, and their gazpacho in the summer is fabulous. At Table 6, we always order the duck confit, but you can never go wrong with the tater tots. Potager will always be one of our favorites: Eating by the garden in the summer or at the bar in winter brings back so many good memories. And lastly, Barolo Grill. Ryan Fletter runs one of the best restaurants in Denver. Everything is sublime.
9) CLOTHING DESIGNER Amy >> For dressy, I like Dries van Noten because it’s timeless, interesting and unique. For casual, I wear Nili Lotan and The Row. Both are easy and effortless. Joe >> For dress, I wear Luciano Barbera, Caruso or Eleventy. These brands can all be worn more casually, but for jackets, suits and formal wear, they are whom I gravitate toward. For casual, I like Dries van Noten, Officine Generale, The Row and Acne Studios. They each have a cool aesthetic, and I buy them and wear them in a more minimalist manner.