A Colorado Couple’s Favorite Things
Leigh Sinclair and Arlan Preblud share their must-haves
This married couple—she, a professor at the Community College of Denver, and he, founder and executive director of We Don’t Waste, a nonprofit dedicated to food recovery and distribution to other community agencies—share their favorite things.
1. COLORADO ACTIVITY We like to go to Boulder with our dog and sit on a patio on a Sunday afternoon before browsing the Boulder Book Store. Our favorite restaurant is The Kitchen American Bistro—their french fries and tomato soup are superb. boulderbookstore.net, thekitchenbistros.com
2. JEWELRY STORE Leigh: I love The Golden Eye in Santa Fe (I buy their Ear-rangements hoops and add on the dangly charms), but my favorite jewelry store in Denver is Fifth Avenue Designs. Larry has the absolute best customer service. He’ll help you sell your old jewelry and will work with you to design new pieces. goldeneyesantafe.com; 5thavenuedesigns.com
3. NEIGHBORHOOD We have lived in three houses on the same block in LoHi in the past 10 years. We love the diversity of the neighborhood and that we are walking-distance to so many great restaurants, such as Spuntino, Bar Dough, Highland Tap & Burger and Señor Bear. Our neighbors are all ages; some have lived in this neighborhood for 50 years, and some just moved from out of state.
4. DESTINATION In Colorado, you just can’t beat The Broadmoor. In a one-hour drive, you are in another world. We park our car there and never leave the property. In the summer, we love the pool and spa, and leisurely walks around the lake. There’s great people-watching, and we always run into people we know from Denver or Texas. broadmoor.com
5. COLORADO ARTIST We have been buying Mario Rivoli’s pieces for more than 30 years. He did the original makeup for KISS and uses tramp art in his sculptures, traveling to junk shows and flea markets to buy entire sets of anything— such as broken-down state-fair games—to make his art. mariorivoli.com
6. RETAIL STORE Leigh: Cedar & Hyde in Boulder, because it’s so nontraditional. I’m a huge fan of their scarves and the Il Bisonte purses and wallets. cedarandhyde.com
7. EYEGLASSES/SUNGLASSES We love fun readers! Arlan wears Theo Eyewear from Optical Shop of Aspen and Eyebobs Hoops reading glasses ($89). Leigh wears Carla Colour Lind sunglasses reader ($220) and the Warby Parker Kimball reader ($95). Optical Shop of Aspen, 308 S. Galena Street, Aspen; Warby Parker, Cherry Creek Shopping Center, Denver, warbyparker.com
8. WATCH Arlan purchased his Shinola watch when the company first came out in Detroit in an old car-manufacturing plant. Now, there’s a beautiful Shinola store right in the Cherry Creek Mall. The Runwell 47MM, $550; shinola.com