A guide for Colorado design professionals to get projects and products published
Photo by Gibeon Photography
Colorado Homes & Lifestyles is always on the lookout for stunning homes, from luxurious high-country retreats to smart urban spaces, in styles ranging from traditional to mountain modern. We are always eager to receive a wide variety of home submissions and story ideas, which enables us to produce the best magazine possible.
Editorial Calendar 2019
Before & After; Floor Coverings
deadline: October 1, 2018
Circle of Excellence; Furniture Finds + Lighting
deadline: December 1, 2018
deadline EXTENDED: January 8, 2019
deadline: February 1, 2019
Home of the Year
deadline: March 1, 2019
Five Under 40 Winners; Mountain Homes
deadline: May 1, 2019
deadline: June 1, 2019
Holiday; Fabulous List
deadline: August 1, 2019
+ Home cannot be for sale or about to go on the market.
+ Home must be privately owned; no model or spec homes, please.
+ Homeowners must allow access to their home for one full day for a photo shoot.
+ Project can be an entire home or individual spaces, such as kitchens, baths, home offices, wine cellars, home theatres, etc.
+ Submission must include photos of exterior, kitchen, baths, master suite and any other bedrooms, great room/living room, dining area, and any other distinctive interior or exterior details.
+ Images do not have to be professional photographs or high resolution. Smartphone pictures and snapshots are acceptable.
+ Provide multiple images of the exterior, main living areas, kitchen, dining room, bedrooms, bathrooms, and other interesting spaces (indoor and outdoor).
+ Provide a brief synopsis (1-2 paragraphs) of the project or story idea.
+ Identify location, homeowner's name and contact information for all professionals involved (architect, interior designer, contractor, landscape architect, etc.).
+ Indicate if and when the project was published or will be published in other publications.
+ Indicate if the project has already been professionally photographed.
- Trending Right Now: A mix of furniture and household products that fit within a certain trend each issue
- Tastemaker: Q&A with a nationally known designer, design blogger, or industry trendsetter
- Something…: Each issue, we choose one product for the home (e.g. blankets, barware, planters) and list a variety of options from national and independent stores
- Small Spaces: A look at homes under 2,000 square feet—or a collection of design ideas focused on one part of the house
- Architectural Intelligence: An architect's look at astounding buildings around the state—whether it is a historic hotel, a brand new office space, or residence
- Portrait of the Artist: Showcases the work and story of a Colorado artist (any medium is up for consideration)
- High Points: A curated collection of places, people, products, and of-the-moment hot spots
- By Hand: Features a Colorado designer, entrepreneur, or independent business owner who is making household décor, furniture, hardware, accessories, etc. with their hands
- The Market: A look at current Colorado real estate
Go & Do:
- Calendar: A roundup of upcoming events handpicked for our readers
- Road Trip: An insider’s guide to a Colorado city, attraction, resort, or activity
- In My Element: A portrait of a Colorado-based artist, designer, innovator, retailer, etc. in his/her workspace
How to submit a department story idea:
+ Provide a brief synopsis (1-2 paragraphs) of the story idea and which department you would like to be considered for.
+ Identify location and contact information for all professionals involved.
+ Indicate if the project has already been professionally photographed. If high-res images are available, please send along with submission.
+ CH&L continuously reviews editorial submissions throughout the year. Our minimum lead time for editorial consideration is 3-4 months before publish date. For example, if you'd like to be considered for the August issue, please submit your idea no later than early May.
+ CH&L prefers first-time exclusivity and reserves the right to cancel pending stories if found to be a duplication; please do not submit your story ideas to multiple publications simultaneously.
+ Consideration can take up to 6 months; CH&L will respond to the submitter either way. Please feel free to follow up at reasonable intervals via email.
+ We cannot guarantee when a story will run.
+ Advertising with CH&L has no bearing on whether or not your project/product will be featured editorially.
Send Submissions To:
Kate Meyers, Editor in Chief