A guide for Colorado design professionals to get projects and products published
Photo by Gibeon Photography
Colorado Homes & Lifestyles is always on the lookout for stunning homes, from luxurious high-country retreats to smart urban spaces, in styles ranging from traditional to mountain modern. We are always eager to receive a wide variety of home submissions and story ideas, which enables us to produce the best magazine possible.
HOME FEATURE CONSIDERATION
Editorial Calendar 2018
Jan/Feb: Before & After; Lights & Mirrors
March: Circle of Excellence; Furniture Finds
April: Bathrooms; Tiles and Tubs
May: Outdoor Living; Outdoor Furniture & Kitches
June/July: Home of the Year; Art
August: Mountain Homes; Annual Five Under 40 Winners
Sept/Oct: The Kitchen Issue; Tiles & Fixtures
Nov/Dec: The Fabulous Issue; Fabulous List; Holiday A-Go-Go
Criteria for home feature consideration:
+ Home cannot be for sale or about to go on the market.
+ Home must be privately owned-no model or spec homes, please.
+ Homeowners must allow access to their home for one full day for a photo shoot.
+ Project can be an entire home or individual spaces, such as kitchens, baths, home offices, wine cellars, home theatres, etc.
+ Submission must include photos of exterior, kitchen, baths, master suite and any other bedrooms, great room/living room, dining area, and any other distinctive interior or exterior details.
How to submit a home feature for editorial consideration:
+ Images do not have to be professional photographs or high resolution. Smart phone pictures and snapshots are acceptable.
+ Provide multiple images of exterior, main living areas, kitchen, dining room, bedrooms, bathrooms, and other interesting spaces (indoor and outdoor).
+ Provide a brief synopsis (1-2 paragraphs) of the project or story idea.
+ Identify location, homeowner's name and contact information for all professionals involved (architect, interior designer, contractor, landscape architect, etc.).
+ Indicate if and when the project was published or will be published in other publications.
+ Indicate if project has already been professionally photographed.
DEPARTMENT STORY CONSIDERATION
- Trending Right Now: A mix of furniture and household products that fit within a certain trend each issue
- Tastemaker: Q&A with a nationally known designer, design blogger, or industry trendsetter
- Something…: Each issue, we choose one product for the home (e.g. blankets, barware, planters) and list a variety of options from national and independent stores
- Small Spaces: A look at homes under 2,000 square feet—or a collection of design ideas focused on one part of the house
- Architectural Intelligence: An architect's look at astounding buildings around the state—whether it is a historic hotel, a brand new office space, or residence
- Portrait of the Artist: Showcases the work and story of a Colorado artist (any medium is up for consideration)
- High Points: A curated collection of places, people, products, and of-the-moment hot spots
- By Hand: Features a Colorado designer, entrepreneur, or independent business owner who is making household décor, furniture, hardware, accessories, etc. with their hands
- The Market: A look at current Colorado real estate
Go & Do:
- Calendar: A roundup of upcoming events handpicked for our readers
- Road Trip: An insider’s guide to a Colorado city, attraction, resort, or activity
- In My Element: A portrait of a Colorado-based artist, designer, innovator, retailer, etc. in his/her workspace
How to submit a department story idea:
+ Provide a brief synopsis (1-2 paragraphs) of the story idea and which department you would like to be considered for.
+ Identify location and contact information for all professionals involved.
+ Indicate if the project has already been professionally photographed. If high-res images are available, please send along with submission.
+ CH&L continuously reviews editorial submissions throughout the year. Our minimum lead time for editorial consideration is 3-4 months before publish date. For example, if you'd like to be considered for the August issue, please submit your idea no later than early May.
+ CH&L prefers first-time exclusivity and reserves the right to cancel pending stories if found to be a duplication; please do not submit your story ideas to multiple publications simultaneously.
+ Consideration can take up to 6 months; CH&L will respond to the submitter either way. Please feel free to follow up at reasonable intervals via email.
+ We cannot guarantee when a story will run.
+ Advertising with CH&L has no bearing on whether or not your project/product will be featured editorially.
Send Submissions To:
Kate Meyers, Editor in Chief
Finally, CH&L is proud to conduct two design award contests each year:
Click here for more information and deadline details for our annual 5 Under 40 Design Awards
Click here for more information and deadline details for our annual Circle of Excellence Honors
Click here for more information and deadline details for our annual Home of the Year