22nd Annual Cancer League of Colorado Race for Research
Cancer League of Colorado will present the 22nd Annual Race
for Research, a 5K run/walk on Sunday, August 19, 2018 in Denver’s Washington Park.
The Race for Research is held each year in memory of Michele Plachy-Rubin, a young wife,
mother and kindergarten teacher who was diagnosed with brain cancer in 1996. Michele’s family
and friends founded the Race for Research in an effort to raise money for cancer research.
Sadly, Michele lost her fight with cancer in 1998, but the race lives on as an opportunity for
people of all ages to celebrate her legacy and to fight cancer in Colorado. The Race for
Research is one of four annual fundraisers for the Cancer League of Colorado, a 100%
volunteer-run non-profit organization that funnels all of its fundraising proceeds to cancer
research and patient support organizations in Colorado.
This fun and family-oriented event features:
• Over 1,100 runners and walkers for the timed 5K loop around Washington Park
• A post-race Expo where race sponsors interact directly with participants
• A free pancake breakfast
• A free local craft beer garden sponsored by Bristol Brewing
• Trophies for the top three male and female runners and medals for the top finishers in
various age categories
• A Kid Zone with games, clowns and a kiddie train
• Traveling trophies and prizes for the largest teams
• The Morton Publishing Miracle Mile, with posters along the race route honoring
individuals whose lives have been impacted by cancer
• Live music with the band Look Both Ways
• A race t-shirt with registration
• Mascots from Denver’s professional sports teams
The 2018 Race for Research Honoree is Stephen Estrada, a colo-rectal cancer survivor. You will
want to meet Stephen, who was only in his late twenties when he was diagnosed and hear about
his courageous battle. Learn more about what you can do to protect yourself and your family.
Although there is no minimum individual fundraising requirement to participate, we encourage
and reward fundraising efforts with prizes for the largest individual and team fundraisers. Would
you like to honor a loved one with a poster on our Miracle Mile? Raise a minimum of $150 per
posters. For details on fundraising and Miracle Mile posters see www.race4research.com.
Everyone is welcome! To learn more about the race or to register online, go to
www.race4research.com .Race-day registration in Washington Park will open at 8 a.m., and the
race starts at 9 a.m. Race-day registration fees will be slightly higher, so register now for the
For more information contact Holli Hartman holliR4R@gmail.com 303 912-7837 or Lin McHaley
at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-840-9966.
Cancer League of Colorado
We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of this information. However, you should always call ahead to confirm dates, times, location, and other information.